Friday, April 08, 2005

Paul Bremer Comes to Bowdoin

So Paul Bremer is speaking at Bowdoin tonight. I'm excited about this event for a number of reasons, but I don't think it will be particularly earth-shattering.

Let's face it-it will be a school-sanctioned pep rally for Iraq. I'm expecting to hear lines such as "freedom is on the march," "America is safer today because Saddam is gone," and "we are democratizing the Middle East." I could have written this speech 3 months ago.

Bowdoin Security seems pretty paranoid about the event. They called me a few times and emailed me to set up a meeting time after they heard I was calling for protests. I met with them and had a nice chat. I don't blame them at all for being paranoid, but I don't think anything too bad will happen.

I think Bremer certainly has a right to speak, but protesting is vital. His speech will hardly be candid, I'm sure. I'm expecting a very scripted event without too much frankness. Let's see if he answers my question, hahaha.

Only time will tell, but I'm predicting this event will be interesting but uninformative.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

Gee, thanks for the insightful comment!

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for creating dialogue on campus.

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home